Update on the lawsuit over DAPA and expanded DACA

April 18, 2016

In November 2014 the President announced two programs to help immigrants.  One was Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents (DAPA) and the other an expanded version of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA).  Both programs would help long term immigrants living in the US, who do not have criminal records and…

Read More

The Land of Opportunity

January 22, 2016

This is part two of a two part series entitled, “What Motivates Immigration to the United States from Mexico and Central America”. Read part one. People from around the world have immigrated to the United States. Sometimes to flee violence, to avoid persecution for how they look, their religion or to be able to provide a…

Read More

Immigrants Running For Their Lives.

January 14, 2016

This is part one of a two part series entitled, “What Motivates Immigration to the United States from Mexico and Central America”. I M A G I N E living in a place that you feel threatened every time you walk out your front door; where when you walk outside, you can expect to see dead…

Read More

The Real Deal about Immigrants in South Carolina

July 16, 2015

People have lots of misconceptions about immigrants in South Carolina. We wanted to give you the real facts about immigrants and immigration in America today. Most immigrants to American come here legally. According to the Department of Homeland Security, about 75% of today’s immigrants have legal permanent visas. That leaves just 25% that are undocumented…

Read More

Higher Education in SC Should be Open to All

June 12, 2015

Earlier this week, SC Appleseed Legal Justice Center (SC Appleseed) and The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) and filed a federal lawsuit to protect the rights of US born college students of immigrant parents. Currently, the South Carolina’s higher education system classifies dependent US citizen students residing in South Carolina as “non-residents” for tuition, scholarship,…

Read More

Welcome Alycia Guevara!

June 1, 2015

Alycia Guevara starts her first day at SC Appleseed today and we are so excited that she is joining the team as the community organizer for the immigrant community. Alycia’s passion for this work was instilled in her at a young age by her father. As the daughter of a Salvadoran immigrant, she was able…

Read More

Young Immigrants in Action share their voices

April 8, 2015

Contributed by guest blogger Diana Pliego-Padillo I am a founding member of Young Immigrants in Action (YIA), a statewide grassroots organization here in South Carolina. Recently, with the help of SC Appleseed and the Sisters of Charity Foundation, we were able to create a calendar, “Hold onto Your Dreams.” Our calendar tells our story. Featuring…

Read More

President Obama's Administrative Relief for Immigrants Explained

January 2, 2015

         ***UPDATE – FEBRUARY 17, 2015*** Yesterday, in a disappointing ruling that is not in the best interests of our state, a district judge in Texas temporarily blocked the President’s Administrative Relief for Immigrants, halting expanded Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and Deferred Action for Parental Accountability (DAPA). The court found…

Read More

South Carolina | #YourVoteCounts

October 29, 2014

 With the 2014 South Carolina election less than two weeks away, we bring you… #YourVoteCounts At SC Appleseed, we know that voting is a way of connecting to and caring about our neighborhoods, our government, and the direction of public policy in South Carolina.  On Tuesday, November 4th, every vote counts. Every vote is a way to…

Read More

Making SC a place of opportunity and justice for all.

August 11, 2014

Help make SC a place for opportunity and justice for ALL…one VOICE at a time. It’s simple. 1,000 voices each giving $35 in honor of our 35th year MATCHED dollar-for-dollar will raise critical support to help make South Carolina a place of opportunity & justice for all. HTTP://RALLY.ORG/1000VOICES Here in South Carolina, where society historically has been divided along lines of race and socio-economic…

Read More