South Carolina Disaster Resources

This page is frequently updated to reflect the most recent information for the most recent storms

Information for South Carolina Disaster Nutrition Assistance:

Individuals in several South Carolina counties who receive SNAP benefits may be eligible to receive additional assistance to replace food lost during Hurricane Dorian. Check the link below for complete details.

September 20, 2019 Update: 

  • On Sept. 17, 2019, FNS approved South Carolina’s request to issue mass replacements in the counties of Berkeley, Charleston, and Dorchester, and the following impacted zip codes in Beaufort County: 29907, 29920, 29926, 29935, and 29940; Colleton County: 29435, 29438, 29446, 29452, and 29474; Dillon County: 29563; Georgetown County: 29440; Horry County: 29568; Orangeburg: 29048, 29133, and 29432; Williamsburg County: 29056; and Williamsburg/Georgetown Counties:29510.

    This waiver allows households in these affected counties and zip codes to receive replacement of 20% for households that were issued benefits between Sept. 1-5, 2019, and 30% for households that were issued benefits between Aug. 19-31, 2019. These replacement SNAP benefits allow households to replace food lost due to power outages and flooding resulting from Hurricane Dorian.

  • On Sept. 7, 2019, FNS approved South Carolina’s request to waive timely reporting of food loss to households in the counties requested. This waiver approval allows households in the affected counties to request a replacement of SNAP benefits through Oct. 7, 2019, to replace food lost due to power outages and flooding resulting from Hurricane Dorian.

South Carolina Emergency Management Division (SCEMD)

  • SCEMD is responsible for managing preparation, response, and recovery from major disasters.
  • SCEMD gives support to local first responders.
  • SCEMD does not offer its own recovery program. If the President declares an event a disaster, this may make federal programs available to you through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
  • Visit for more information on other agencies that provide help.

Tips when talking to contractors:

  • South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control keeps a list of licensed contractors. Visit for more information.
  • DO ask to see the contractor’s license. Make sure it matches the person showing it. You can check their license at
  • DO find out how long the contractor has been in business and ask for references.
  • DO get an agreement in writing. Make sure to read the whole agreement and all blanks are filled in. Make sure the contractor’s name, contact information, license number and a description of the work is on the agreement. The agreement should also show the date the work is to be done and any warranties.
  • DON’T hire a contractor who demands payment in advance.
  • DON’T sign anything saying the work is done until you are happy with the work.
  • DON’T pay in cash.
  • DON’T pull the construction permits yourself.

Beware of Scams!

  • Check your insurance adjuster is licensed by going to the S.C. Department of Insurance at
  • Make sure anyone who says they are from the FEMA or Small Business Administration (SBA) has a laminated ID card. Clothing alone is not proof they are who they say.
  • If you suspect fraud or price-gouging, report it to the South Carolina Attorney General’s Office by calling 803-734-3970.

Other tips

  • Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to see what losses are covered.
  • Try to document your losses by taking pictures of the damage. You may also write a list of any property that was damaged or destroyed.
  • If you have trouble with your insurance company or think they improperly denied your claim, you can make a complaint with S.C. Department of Insurance by calling 800-768-3467.

More Questions?

All cases are different. You may want to contact a lawyer to help you.