Click below for more information on available positions at SC Appleseed:
Description & Overall Responsibility
The Story Collection Coordinator position is a full-time, grant-funded position. The initial duration of the position will be between one year and eighteen months and may be continued after the
end of the initial funding cycle.
The Story Collection Coordinator will be expected to reach out into diverse communities to develop partner relationships and identify South Carolinians who are willing to share their personal experiences within our health care system, both positive and negative. For example, stories may feature how Medicaid has helped people, how being uninsured has hurt them, or about their experiences in private insurance. The goal of the Story Collection project is to secure stories that will help influence the full range of health policy debates at the state and federal level.
In addition to initial story collection, the Story Collection Coordinator will work with SC Appleseed Communications staff to help storytellers share their personal experiences at events, with the media, on social media platforms, in other public venues, and with legislators and other policy makers. The Coordinator will also need to be able to maintain relationships with individuals who provide their story to continue their engagement in ongoing advocacy efforts around Medicaid Expansion and other healthcare issues in South Carolina.
Due to COVID-19, initially the Story Collection Coordinator must be able to successfully conduct outreach by phone and over the internet, via Zoom, email, social media, and other online based platforms and applications. At such time as it is deemed safe to begin story collection in person, frequent statewide travel will be required to identify and build relationships with story tellers in
person. Travel will be covered or reimbursed, as needed.
The Story Collection Coordinator shall be directly accountable to and receive direction from the Director and Director of Communications and Resource Development.
Community Outreach and Story Collection
- Collect, develop, and deploy consumer stories in an ongoing effort to bring new stories into the public eye focused on Medicaid, the Affordable Care Act (ACA), affordability issues in private insurance and the uninsured. Keep all stories in an organized “story bank” that all staff can access easily.
- Identify and interview South Carolinians to document their stories respectfully and with ethical considerations while guarding confidentiality and privacy as appropriate.
- Draft detailed interview notes for every potential storyteller encounter. Record video/audio as necessary to help prepare written notes that capture stories.
- Capture photos and/or videos of storytellers.
- Document all necessary permissions and waivers from storytellers. Maintain all forms and documents in an organized system. All documents are the property of South Carolina Appleseed.
- Draft publishable products including personal stories for publication online, writeups to share with media, testimonials and letters to legislators, etc. Work with SC Appleseed staff to edit and revise stories, etc. as needed for publication in different lengths and diverse formats.
- Work with South Carolina Appleseed staff to share stories in social media through several websites, including, Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms.
- Work with story tellers to prepare them to feel confident and capable of sharing stories with the public and media in the form of outreach events, meetings with policy makers, media events, and radio and television interviews.
- Help story tellers be effective activists for health policy change by assisting and encouraging them to participate in different levels of policy advocacy engagement.
- Cultivate relationships with statewide and local organizations who can assist with story collection efforts. Maintains communication with, and provide assistance to, coalitions, project volunteers, and sub-grantees with story collection.
- Speak at meetings about the SC Appleseed story collection effort as well as organize and successfully run public storyteller outreach events. Assists with public education, trainings, and information efforts related to the story collection program to include talking to media outlets, public speaking, and social media posts.
- Contribute to the SC Appleseed outreach materials, website and newsletter and work with communications staff to identify and design email, text, and social media campaigns.
- In cooperation with Director and Director of Communications and Development, develop a detailed one-year workplan for the project. The workplan will include plans for storyteller outreach, reasonable goals for story collection, identify key timelines for story needs for policy support, and a possible new story book or magazine with a target publication date. One measurement of success will be implementing this plan in a timely manner.
- Maintain administrative reports and statistical information on activities as assigned.
- Ensure that policies and procedures are being followed, particularly those that protect storyteller privacy and trust.
- Review and improve the existing SC Appleseed story collection supporting forms and outreach materials, and develop new forms and materials as needed.
- Participate in a network of story collection coordinators working in other states that is hosted by a national funding partner and highlights best story collection practices and ideas for story collection work.
- Participate in SC Appleseed staff meetings, healthcare team meetings and other planning activities.
- Attend meetings of other organizations, committees, and coalitions as assigned.
Skills and Knowledge Required
- Excellent communicator with interpersonal skills and the ability to build rapport and trust with diverse South Carolinians.
- Strong writing and editing skills, as well as the ability to adopt the style, tone, and voice of storyteller when appropriate. The Coordinator will need to be comfortable working with an editor on public written products.
- Experience producing content for the web and social media. Knowledge of how to use Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with many different stakeholders and constituencies.
- General knowledge of issues and initiatives that affect low-income people. Need not be an expert on health policy but awareness of and experience with low-income health policy issues a plus. Willingness to learn basic health policy is essential.
- Well organized and detail oriented with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Willing to bring forward new ideas and creativity is essential.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
Will be paid based on experience, and will be provided health, dental and vision benefits and earned leave.
SC Appleseed would like to have a new Story Collection Coordinator in place by end of October 2021. Review of applications will begin on a rolling basis and will continue until the position is filled. Interviews will be conducted by Zoom. To apply, submit a letter of intent, a resume, two writing samples, and contact information for three references by October 22, 2021. Please
send to [email protected]
About SC Appleseed:
SC Appleseed is a multi-issue policy, organizing and litigation office located in Columbia, South Carolina. South Carolina Appleseed’s mission is to work on behalf of low-income South Carolinians for social, economic, and legal justice. To this end, we recognize the importance of bringing a consumer voice to public policy so that every South Carolinian has access to quality, affordable health care and the opportunity to lead an informed, healthy, and productive life.
SC Appleseed is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. SC Appleseed does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or handicap.