Click below for more information on available positions at SC Appleseed:
Position: Staff Attorney/Policy Analyst – Health and Benefits issues
Organization: SC Appleseed Legal Justice Center
South Carolina Appleseed is a nonprofit organization that fights for low income South Carolinians to overcome social, legal and economic injustice.
SC Appleseed is a forceful and respected advocate for low income South Carolinians on issues such as health care, immigration, reentry, housing, education, hunger, public benefits, domestic violence and consumer issues.
SC Appleseed is dedicated to effecting systemic change wherever we can do the most good- in and through the courthouse, legislature, administrative agencies, community and the media.
Position Summary: The Staff Attorney/Policy Analyst will be responsible for working with the Director to identify and develop legal and policy solutions to issues impacting low-income South Carolinians. The focus of the work will be on improving access to public assistance programs, such as Medicaid, cash assistance, food and nutrition programs. The staff attorney/policy analyst will engage in policy research and analysis, legal research and when needed litigation support, and resource development. This position will report to the Director but will work closely with SC Appleseed staff attorneys in other program area and program staff. This is a full-time position and will be based in our office in Columbia, South Carolina.
The Staff Attorney will work with the Program Director to carry out the objectives of the program. Specific responsibilities include:
- Conducting policy research and analysis focused on key issues affecting low-income South Carolinians, as well as developing strategies to make positive change.
- Identifying laws and policies that negatively affect low-income South Carolinians, and working with other attorneys in the office to develop and conduct impact or class action litigation to remedy problems.
- Developing educational materials (e.g., reports, fact sheets, presentations, policy briefs) for legislators, advocates, and key stakeholders.
- Engaging with low-income families to identify and develop solutions to systemic problems.
- Conducting targeted outreach on issues impacting low income families to allies, partners, and the public.
- Working with coalitions on issues affecting low-income families.
- Supervision of support staff, including law clerks and interns.
- Participation, as needed, in administrative tasks and program teams.
- Licensed to practice law in South Carolina or be willing to take necessary steps to be licensed; or
- Degree in public policy or public administration;
- Excellent research, analytic, and writing skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively build and maintain community relationships.
- Creative thinking. The ability to develop novel legal theories and strategies to address complex problems.
- Ability to work independently, be organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented and collaborative environment.
- Experience in or demonstrated commitment to public interest law and/or advocacy on behalf of low-income families.
- Knowledge and awareness of local, regional, and national issues facing low-income families.
- Three years’ experience practicing law or working in public policy is strongly preferred but exceptional recent graduates will be considered.
- Legal experience in litigation and the areas of poverty law, administrative law, civil rights, and/or appellate practice preferred.
- Experience with legislative and administrative advocacy preferred.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive nonprofit salary based on experience and benefits including health, vision, dental retirement and vacation.
Position is open until filled. Please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample and list of three references via email to [email protected] or SC Appleseed, P.O. Box 7187, Columbia, SC 29202
SC Appleseed is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. SC Appleseed does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or handicap.