Click below for more information on available positions at SC Appleseed:
South Carolina Appleseed is a nonprofit organization that fights for low income South Carolinians to overcome social, legal and economic injustice.
SC Appleseed is a forceful and respected advocate for low income South Carolinians on issues such as health care, immigration, reentry, housing, education, hunger, public benefits, domestic violence and consumer issues.
SC Appleseed is dedicated to effecting systemic change wherever we can do the most good- in and through the courthouse, legislature, administrative agencies, community and the media.
SC Appleseed is hiring for a staff attorney who will be responsible for the impact litigation program. The staff attorney's primary responsibility will be to develop and initiate systemic litigation in various areas of poverty law as well as recruit pro bono attorneys/firms to partner with SC Appleseed. The attorney will also act as a resource to pro bono volunteers and nonprofit organizations on litigation matters.
● Develop, manage and supervise SC Appleseed’s systemic litigation:
- Identify impact litigation opportunities across the state.
- Working with Director and Staff Attorneys, ensure ongoing development of litigation on issues that impact clients.
- Oversee all impact litigation activities, including investigation, research, discovery, motion pictures, trial work, and appellate practice.
- Provide support to pro bono volunteers.
- Ensure that attorneys are seeking attorneys’ fees where appropriate.
● Maintain an active caseload of representation of systemic and appellate cases.
● Develop and expand collaborations with partner organizations and private firms to increase litigation docket.
● Assist the in developing and implementing litigation strategies.
● Develop trial skills training for IOLTA grantees.
● Contribute to the development and implementation of organization policies and procedures related to litigation, representation and related matters.
● Regularly report to director on casework, including contributing to reports to board and funders.
● Work collaboratively with policy, outreach, and resource development staff.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive nonprofit salary based on experience and benefits including health, vision, dental retirement and vacation based on experience.
Licensed in South Carolina or willingness to take next SC Bar exam. A minimum of 4 years litigation experience. Class action, impact and Federal Court experience is given preference.
Position is open until filled. Please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample and list of three references via email to [email protected] or SC Appleseed, P.O. Box 7187, Columbia, SC 29202
SC Appleseed is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. SC Appleseed does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or handicap.