In partnership with the Wm. Jennings Bryan Dorn VA Medical Center and local attorneys, SC Appleseed is proud to launch Lawyers 4 Vets, a pro bono legal clinic for lower-income Veterans in South Carolina.
There are over 420,000 veterans living in South Carolina. 35,000 veterans live in Richland County alone. Today, nearly 30,000 veterans in South Carolina live below the poverty line, struggling to find jobs, and grappling with the devastating effects of poverty, hunger, and homelessness.
In partnership with the Dorn VA Medical Center and members of the private bar, SC Appleseed is establishing a pro bono legal clinic to assist those who have served our country with the legal issues that they face, eliminating one more barrier keeping them from the productive civilian life they deserve. Lawyers 4 Vets will connect lower-income veterans with local attorneys who will provide one-on-one pro bono legal advice or representation.
Beginning on May 15th and held on the third Thursday of each month from 9:00 am-12:00 pm at the Wm. Jennings Bryan Dorn VA Medical Center in Columbia, Lawyers 4 Vets will assist veterans with:
- Obtaining identification (Social Security, ID, birth certificates)
- Child support and visitation issues
- Expungements and pardons
- Consumer protection
- Simple wills and healthcare power of attorney
Counties included in the service areas for outreach: Anderson, Florence Greenwood, Lexington, Orangeburg, Richland, Sumter, and York.
YOU CAN HELP:
Aiming to launch this summer, we are currently recruiting attorneys interested in giving back to these brave men and women who have served in our military.
- Are you an attorney who is willing to undertake representation of a veteran?
- Are you a law firm who would like information on how to “sponsor” a month at the clinic by providing a group of attorneys to volunteer?
- Are you an attorney willing to act as a subject matter expert for our volunteers who might have questions in a particular area of law?
We would love to talk with you and get you involved in this important project!
Ready to sign up? | SC Appleseed will host a free CLE and training on Friday, April 11, 2014 for any attorneys interested in taking part in Lawyers 4 Vets.
If you are interested or would like to know more about this clinic, please contact:
Bridget Brown, SC Appleseed Attorney